Re: KI Inquiry

>     If general use of KI by the general public could result in a severe
>     reaction including death to a small percentage of users, why in
>     heaven's name would the federal government recommend it's use at 25
>     rem, a dose at which the radiation effects are possibly zero and at
>     worst trivial or insignificant?
>

>This EM is response to inquiry on use of potassium iodide (KI) in radiological
>accidents.  The U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) published guidance on
>use of the drug as a prophylactic for the thyroid when projected doses to the
>gland reach 25 rem or more.  Administer 130 mg KI to adults, and to children 1
>year or older, daily during exposure.  For maximum effectiveness, administer
>immediately before or after exposure begins, but it will have substantial
>effect if given up to four hours after an acute exposure.
>
>Note that a small percentage of the population may have an adverse reaction to
>the drug, e.g. nausea or a metallic taste, of mild and transient nature.
>However, an even smaller percentage may have a severe and life-threatening
>reaction requiring prompt medical attention.  It is wise to have a physician
>involved in your planning and decision to distribute KI.
>
>For a copy of the FDA recommendations, or other info, send me your postal
>address or fax number at DLT@FDADR.CDRH.FDA.GOV.  You may also call me in
>Maryland at (301) 827-0012.

 I have heard from the Poles that at Chernobyl time, they distributed KI to
the population with no adverse effects, according to Nauman in Warsaw.
This should be verified as it could provide factual answers to the risk
question.  I was also told that they are not experiencing the childhood
thyroid cancer "epidemic" seen in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia, and
attribute it to the effectiveness of the KI.
Marvin Goldman
(mgoldman@ucdavis.edu)