Re: KI Inquiry -Reply

At 17:39 17.10.1996 -0500, you wrote:
>It has been my understanding that KI is used solely for Emergency
>Workers.  The public should be evacuated long in advance to prevent
>them from receiving a dose to the thyroid.  I know there are some states
>that administrar KI to the general public, but I'm not familiar with those
>State's plans and procedures.
>
>I apologize for missing the beginning messages regarding KI, but I had to
>throw in my two cents!
>
>These are my opinions, and not those of the US EPA or other government
>agencies.
>
>=======================================================================0

Your understanding is wrong. KI is routineously distributed to households in
the vicinity of nuclear power plants - at least in Europe. In the case of a
very severe accident it should be adminstered to the population of large
areas. Where to evacuate the public of a town of several million inhabitants
to????? KI-tablets were distributed recently to the public in Austria - or
rather to everybody, who wanted to collect them. I think that the public was
only little interested in it. The possible adverse effect is something which
influence the decision on reduction of the KI dose.

Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 WIEN