Re: KI Inquiry

Ragreen1@aol.com wrote:

> What is the risk of death from one rem again?
>
> Is there something wrong here?

Here is another example of treating radiation differently than other
risks.   We had a person at a plant at which I used to work who smashed
his left index finger between two 300 pound lead shields as he was
pushing them around.  The finger was repaired, but never functioned
properly thereafter.  Since it was not a lost time incident, there was
no investigation, no reporting, and only minimal cost to treat medically
his finger.  Another person at the same plant exposed his middle finger
on his left hand to 2000 rem from Sr-90.  There was no physical damage.
But, boy was there economic damage.  Investigation, AEC reporting,
significant management and other personnel time spent on remedial
actions that really didn't help prevent another similar incident.  The
person was just inattentive to the location of a source.
We do treat radiation differently from other hazards, and, in my view,
in light of current knowledge and circumstances, mistakenly so.  Is this
heresy?  If so, call me Galilio.  I don't believe the Sun revolves
aroung the earth.  Nor do I believe that the science of radiation
protection should continue to revolve around the ICRP and NCRP (unless
they catch up with the modern world).  How's that for a Friday?  Al
Tschaeche xat@inel.gov