Re: KI Inquiry

Mike,

After Chernobyl KI was widely distributed in eastern Europe with very few
reactions and no deaths that I am aware of.  In the US we routinely use
iodized salt and KI would provide little additional protection so the
benefit is questionable.  Likewise, Japan has a high iodine dietary intake,
but I heard that Eastern European diets were iodine deficient, and it did
make a big difference there... perhaps someone who was at the scene can
verify this.

Doug Turner <turners@earthlink.net>