LNT

Some 10 years ago, our group were commissioned by
the relevant UK government body to study the radiological
impact arising from transport of radioactive material by sea,
into, out of and around the UK. It was decided to keep the two
relevant trade unions informed, one of which had a fearsome
reputation at the time, of upset if their members were considered
to be adversely affected.
I suggested inviting them to have a representative with me on
every vessel visited where they had members as crew. All were
satisfied by the demonstrable results on each occasion.
I still keep the acknowledgement sent to me after a copy of the
final report was sent out:
	"Dear Sir, Thank you for your report which is acceptable"
This from a guy on whom you might have modelled Sadam Hussein.

If you want to convince people, show them the results, as directly as
possible.
A year ago I had published dose rates from spent fuel flasks out
to distances of 50 and 70 metres, together with the data for dose
assessment - 10 microSv/year was the highest. No complaints
so far and a simple reference for anti-nuclear fears.
Comparisons are always made with natural background radiation
- another 10 on top of 2,200 (average UK) which is varying by at
least 100 anyway.
We seem to be getting there.
	Roger Gelder