Re: KI Inquiry

Mike Russel said:

>      If general use of KI by the general public could result in a severe
>      reaction including death to a small percentage of users, why in
>      heaven's name would the federal government recommend it's use at 25
>      rem, a dose at which the radiation effects are possibly zero and at
>      worst trivial or insignificant?

Government's inevitable way of recommending something to placate
those who believe that "something" has to be done and given to the
populace. This question, of providing KI, has gone of for one heck of
a long time. I remember when I used to work for the State of FL, the
recommendations were that KI would not be given, but that changed
with pressure from external forces. When I worked for FPL, in the
early 70's and 80's the program in place was that KI would not be
provided to the populace within the 10 mile EPZ .. but that too is
changing. Even our field teams were exempt from taking it, due to the
side effects, which as Mike has correctly aluded to, are more
significant than what they were be taken for in the first place.

Govenment doing what it does best .. remeber the Swine Flu anyone??

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division
Office: (800) 548-5100 Ext. 2306