Re[2]: Linear Hypothesis IS the Cause of P

     Al,
         Sorry about that last sentence, reading it now, I agree it doesn't
     make a lot of sense, but it did at nothing o'clock in the morning.
     Please allow me to clarify.
          Some months ago, on the news, they gave a report on an
     association of hot dog consumption and increase risk of leukemia in
     children.  They stated that if a child ate hot dogs more than twice a
     month, his chances of developing leukemia increased by a factor of 5.
     These are bogus numbers because I really can't remember the exact, but
     I hope you get the general idea.  My youngest son loves hot-dogs and
     has been known to eat 4 or 5 at one sitting.  I was in ab absolute
     panic for a short time thinking that I was giving my son cancer, until
     I came to my senses.  I believe the same holds true with radiation.
     For instance, if you tell a person he can receive "x" amount of dose
     without any ill effects, he will hold that number as an absolute.  At
     our station workers are allowed to receive 300 mrem a day minus or
     admin. limits of course.  There have been times when these workers are
     in a panic when they approach this number thinking they are going to
     loose a limb or sight in one eye.  It gets even worse it they are
     approaching their yearly limit of 3 rem.  We as human beings tend to
     want to believe everything we hear from the media, because they, after
     all, are the informed.  I am not a Degree HP, so I jump into this
     thread with much trepidation, but I do have 5 years experience working
     with the general public and doing my best to educated to the "real"
     dangers of radiation.  If I am way off base with this, please set me
     straight.  Thanks for your time, just trying to learn as I go along.