Re: Cellular Phones and EPDs

To:
     radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
+++++++++
Radsafers,

 I sent this thread to Ross Hirning here at Ontario Hydro and gave him the
heads up about the particular problems that were being encountered with the
Siemens EPDs.
He has sent this response in the hopes of providing some clarification to
all users.
You can reply back to him directly if you require any more information.

Marni DeLong,
Health Physicist, Radiological Services, Ontario Hydro, Canada.
marni.delong@hydro.on.ca
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-..

Marni,

Here is a summary of the Ontario Hydro experience with EMI and the Siemens
EPD.  Please pass it on to Radsafe, with my name and e-mail address
(ross.hirning@hydro.on.ca) as contact for further info.

Ontario Hydro and AECL conducted a series of type tests on pre-production
and early production EPDs in 1993-94.  The results were published in Health
Physics Vol. 69, pp. 46-66 (1995), and the results of the electromagnetic
interference (EMI) tests can be summarized as follows (tests were done with
a simultaneous applied gamma field, except where noted):
 - No interference from pulsed magnetic fields to 800 A/m.
 - No interference from electrostatic fields of 5000 V/m.
 - No interference from electrostatic discharge of 2.25 mJ at 3000 VDC (no
gamma source).
 - No interference from 60 Hz electric fields at 100 V/m.
 - No interference from 60 Hz magnetic fields at 60 A/m.
 - Possible slight interference from RF fields of 100-500 MHz at 10 V/m.
 - No interference from a 49 MHz field from a 15 W communications
transmitter, unless antenna in contact with EPD (no gamma source for contact
test).
 - Limited interference from a 490 MHz field from a 5 W transmitter with
antenna about 2 cm from face of EPD; strong interference with antenna in
contact with case (no gamma source for contact test).

More recently, field tests were conducted on a set of Mark 1.2D,
EMC-enhanced EPDs, as well as on a set of Mark 1.2B, non-EMC enhanced EPDs.
 A wide variety of sources of electromagnetic radiation found in and around
nuclear power stations were tried, without any ionizing radiation present
above normal background.  Interference with the EMC-enhanced EPDs was
observed with only two sources:
 - the ignition circuit of a propane-powered fork lift truck; and
 - the transmitter for a wireless communications system operating at 2 GHz.
In both cases, the source was within 30 cm of the EPD when interference was
observed.  Tests with two models of Motorola cellular phone showed no
interference with the EMC-enhanced EPD, but strong interference was observed
with the non-enhanced version.

An MGPI electronic dosimeter was also tested with some of the sources, and
showed interference from a high-frequency welder, a video monitor and the
fork lift.  It was not tested with the cell phones.

The conclusion is that the EMC-enhanced EPD is resistant to interference
from most sources of electromagnetic radiation, but there are a few sources
that will cause interference.  Problems can be avoided by training users on
how to recognize and avoid EMI, or by putting the dosimeter into a shielded
bag.