Re: Cellular Phones and EPD's

>Hello, I am the radiation safety officer at the Naval Hospital Naples
Italy. My current staff, including two radiologists, uses cellular
phones quite often.  Has there been any research done on the distance
or field strength output that would produce an effect on the Navy's
TLD badges?<

I have never seen any effect on TLDs from EMI and cellular phone
specifically. In the 22 yrs I was involved in "our" nuclear plant
program, many types of cellular phones, radios and other transmitters
have been used, without any effect. The TLDs are affected by ionizing
radiation and are not affected by non-ionizing radiation. I am aware
of the Navy monitoring program and there is no need for concern.

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division
Office: (800) 548-5100 Ext. 2306