Re: RAM Authorization Survey

My comments follow.

vR,  Jerry Thomas

At 08:36 10/30/96 -0600, you wrote:
>The institution where I work has over 80 authorized user radioactive
>research (P-32, S-35, H-3, C-14, Cr-51, I-125, etc.) laboratories.  We
>have a broad scope NRC license.
>
>I would like to post the following questions to fellow radsafers:
>
>1.  Do Radiation Safety Departments in your institutions authorize
>individual laboratories based on chemical form of the isotopes or primarily
>by radioisotopes only?

The only laboratories that have specific authorizations which differ from
the general lab pool are those in which iodinations are authorized.  We
have three such labs, all are shared spaces.  Our authorizations are based
on both chemical form and radioisotope.  Chemical form will in part
determine the volitility of the isotope and radioisotope type contributes
to the risk/potential dose assessment.

>2.  Do your Radiation Safety Depts. require labs to indicate what chemical
>forms of RAM they receive/dispose in their license application/renewal?

No.  The chemical form is know by the Radiation Safety Department at the
time of receipt.  Chemical form is not recorded at time of disposal.

>3.  How many authorized research labs do you have at your institution?

We have approximately 80 authorized users.  The number of laboratories
(e.g. rooms) is around 300.

>Thanks for your responses in advance,
>
>Mark Mettler
>mettlem@cesmtp.ccf.org

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

mailto:thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246