RE: Cyclotron/Accelerator Monitoring Inf

My personal comments....

Neutron dosimetry is a very important issue.  The neutron spectra and doses
varies a lot.  The best is to use the personal albedo neutron dosimeters
that can distinguish at least ranges of the neutron spectra. This is
accomplished, for instance with the German Karlsruhe universal dosimeter
that measures incident and albedo response.
I used the single sphere albedo system to calibrate a neutron albedo
dosimeter developed in Brasil. It worked very nicely.

For details of the technique, pls see
IAEA Technical Report Series n. 252, 1985.

Concerning cyclotrons, the activation of component parts, shielding and
other metallic materials left inside the irradiation room is also an issue.

Radiation protection during maintenance can expose workers to high gamma and
beta dose.  Allow some hours before entering the irradiation room . Allow
some days before opening machine ( if that maintenance is necessary) for the
decay of short lived products.

Patricia Wieland
Department of Nuclear Safety
International Atomic Energy Agency