Re: FWD: Magnetic Field measurements

>Can anyone on RadSafe help?
>

>>...I just got a phone call from a Bio Grad student who needs to make
>>precise measurements of the magnetic field due to the Earth and
>>various arrangements of permanent magnets in a room where bird behaviour
>>is to be studied.  She tried a handheld instrument from the local power
>>company (useless) and contacted the local USGS, who I am stunned to find
>>'don't do that stuff, those people are retired.'
>
>>Any suggestions on where one can find expertise and instruments for measuring
>>and mapping room-sized magnetic fields accurately?

The Hall effect probes that other contributors have suggested may not have
enough sensitivity for the geomagnetic fields the student wants to measure.
I would recommend contacting companies that do geophysical surveys for
mineral exploration; they would know of equipment which is able to measure
field strength and orientation parameters to the required degree of
precision and accuracy.

Michael Williamson
(m.williamson@mailbox.uq.edu.au )

Radiation Protection Adviser

Occupational Health & Safety Unit
University of Queensland
Brisbane 4072
Australia

ph +61 7 3365 4504
fax +61 7 3365 1577

The opinions expressed in this communication are those of the writer:
unless explicitly stated they should not be taken as representing the
official policies or views of the University of Queensland.