Re: Tritium Monitors

Hi Bill

On   Mon, 04 Nov 1996 08:17:17 -0600 you wrote
> From:          Bill Pitchford <Bill.Pitchford@asu.edu>
> Subject:       Tritium Monitors
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

> Early this spring I received information about a new portable tritium
> contamination monitoring device.
>
> Does anyone know of any such newer devices ?

I am only aware of the Berthold instrument which is a flow through
proportional counter. I have not used one the major problem is they
can only really be used for flat surfaces. But I have not used one.

> Has anyone had any good or bad experience using such devices ?
>
> Does anyone have any novel procedures or equipment for determining
> tritium levels ?

Just the old fashioned way ie wipe testing followed by scintillation
counting. (Oh and water dishes for tritium vapour)

> Does anyone have any unique or interesting means of determining OBT ?

Again unfortunately not, though you could certainly do charcoal or
silica tube monitoring if you are looking for airborne OBT.

> Does anyone have any good Tritium stories ?
>
> Bill Pitchford
> Radiation Protection Facility
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, Arizona 85287-3501

Bill I would be interested in hearing any responses you have with
regarding OBT in particular. Michelle.Wakelam@ADM.monash.edu.au

Michelle Wakelam
Occupational Hygienist and
Assistant Radiation Protection Officer
Occupational Health, Safety and Environment
Monash University,
Wellington Road,
Clayton, Victoria, 3168
Australia