Re: Linear Hypothesis IS the Cause of P -Reply -Reply

Al's idea of educating jouralists is attractive but, in my experience, hopeless.  Jouralists' are
concerned about risks, primarily the risks of not getting a story published and of not keeping
reader interest.  Thus they want controversy, preferably with something to be frightened about
and a villian, someone to condem.  The scientific truth about radiation does not meet these
needs and, in fact, is counterproductive from the jounalist's perspective.

I believe there is more hope of success in educating children.  Thus, we are concentrating on
the "Science Teachers' Workshops" program.  Quite a few teachers seem willing to tell the
truth even when it is not as much fun as being alarmist.  If there is money to be spent on
educating people, this seems to be the appropriate area.  Anyone who has a good idea about
raising mony, or a source of funds,  for this purpose is asked to contact me or the HPS
Secretariat.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov