Re: Educating Journalists

>  Those Radsafers with positions in universities that have journalism
> > programs could perhaps lobby the journalism faculty for that emphasis in the selection
>
> That's a great idea.  Would all of the campus RSO's on RADSAFE be
> willing to comply with Karin's suggestion?   Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov

I was inspired.  I wrote the following to the Dean of the College of
Communications which includes the Dept. of Journalism and Printing
and  Dept. of Radio/Television.  I hope this isn't a waste of Radsafe
space.  Notes: 1. I'm a microbiologist, not an HP, so my slant is
fairly broad, and 2. I know the Dean and the Chair of
Radio/Television personally, which explains the informality of the
letter.

Russ,
I'd like to pass a thought on to you that I think deserves some
consideration.  I subscribe to an internet listserver called RADSAFE
which is a forum for those involved in radiation protection. In case
you were not aware, I am the University Radiation Safety Officer.
Items appearing on Radsafe range from the theoretical to the
practical to the editorial. Subscribers include university types,
medical types, and many within the nuclear power industry.  A recent
thread has been that journalists over the last 25 years have been
"educated" on how bad radiation is, and that the other side of the
coin is not known, understood, or appreciated.  A recent posting told
of a daughter who studied journalism (in the UK) after earning a
degree in science, and apparently is the only student in her class
with any background in science at all.
    Science permeates our lives, with nuclear power, diseases, and
pollution having important and often misunderstood effects on the
average person.  An inspection of the ASU Bulletin reveals that a
minor is required of students in the College of Communications.  How
many students currently minor in a science?  Is anything done to
promote such an option or remind students of the opportunity?  Many
aspects of science feared by the public at large, from radiation to
genetic engineering, are feared from ignorance, and todays
journalists don't seem to possess the required knowledge to allay
unwarranted fears by educating in the course of their reporting.  The
explosion of scientific knowledge and its direct and indirect effect
on the public are likely to continue.  There will be a  corresponding
need to have journalists who can inform the public in the face of
constant change, who will eschew sensationalism based on ignorance
and provide scientifically valid information to a needful public.
    Thank you for the opportunity to share my opinions.

David F. Gilmore
Assistant Professor of Environmental Biology    0  0
P.O. Box 599, Dept. of Biological Sciences       __    "have a day"
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
ph  501-972-3082    fax 501-972-2638