Re: Spurious LiF light emission - contaminants

> Would you please let us know how these factors could affect readings? This
> may be a variable with which not all persons responsible for assigning, and
> interpreting, ring dosimetry are familiar.
>
> Chris Alston

There are many factors that affect dosimetry processing and the
resultant response and reportable dose to the worker. I will mention
just a few items that are caused by the work environment:

1. Panasonic TLD ... LiBO elements are affected by exposure to
Hydrogen Sulfide gas. This was a significant issue in the early 1980s
and was the topic of an NRC I&E Bulletin. It seemed that workers were
receiving exposures that exceeded regulatory limits. It was soon
determined that the workers are in an environment where Hydrogen
Sulfide was present. The belief is that there is a chemical reaction
with the LiBO elements and a transformation to Lithium Hydroxide
takes place. This is seen today when laboratory workers use Hydrogen
Sulfide. There is no efect on the CaSO elements .. and any increased
response on the two LiBO elemets should be investigated for this
contaminant.

2. Harshaw & Panasonic TLD ...   (a) Chalk / talcum powder gives off a
significant amount of light when heated to the temperature that TLDs
are exposed to .. i.e., 300 degrees F. Power plant workers used to
rub their hands with talcum powder to facilitate sliding on cotton
gloves over their hands... IF there were any residual powder on the
TLD, a very high reading would ensue. (b) Oil on the element, such as
external or oil from an individual's hand can also result in a
spurious emission and an erroneous dose reading.

In summary, it is important to ensure that all bare elements as well
as the covering, i.e., teflon, be not subjected to any external
materials .. since the result will more likely than not result in an
erroneous dose report.

Hope this partly answers Chris's question.

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division
Office: (800) 548-5100 Ext. 2306