Re: Relocation of dosimetry service

**** NOTICE:  THIS IS THE OPINION OF THIS AUTHOR AND DOES NOT REPRESENT ANY
OPINION HELD BY THE PRINCETON PLASMA PHYSICS LABORATORY, THE DEPARTMENT OF
ENERGY,  OR PRINCETON UNIVERSITY.

Under normal circumstances I would not have the time to reply to such a
piece of corporate propaganda such as this, however I feel that the author
of this document from ICN has, without regard for professional integrity,
maligned an exceptional dosimetry staff, a respectable company (Siemens),
and several highly qualified Health Physics professionals. Specifically it
is my opinion that this letter targets the former Health Physicist from
Siemens, who is without a doubt,  qualified and knowledgeable in the field
of dosimetry. Interactions
with her and all the Siemens staff was always done in a professional and
enjoyable manner.

This letter clearly blames Siemens for problems which were obviously caused
by moving the entire dosimetry division to California from Chicago.  The
users of the Siemens dosimetry system all knew that there were bound to be
problems in a move such as this. I as a user remember expressing concern
about this move however I don't recall ever complaining about it when it
actually happened. Why does this author need to blame Siemens for an
acquisition and move which was orchestrated by ICN ?

Up to now, I have not experienced  many serious problems with the switch
over to ICN.  I hope this doesn't change.  But I find the correspondence
from ICN, specifically this latest posting to radsafe, most annoying,
unprofessional, and un-necessary.  Perhaps direct notification to your
users accounting department (to ensure proper change of payment
information), and to the dosimetry supervisors of your accounts (to ensure
continuous
connectivity to the service and un-interrupted badge flow) would have been
more valuable and
would have demonstrated the true concept of "Customer Service".

To Melissa who runs radsafe.  I am extremely discouraged that you could
permit corporate propaganda such as this on what is suppose to be a Health
Physics related board.  Please send me directions on how to un-subscribe to
radsafe.  Radsafe is beginning to read like one of those news papers you
get at the supermarket, you know, the kind which has a front page headline
like
"Woman Gives Birth To Child With 24 Belly Buttons and a Goat Head".  Good
luck in managing radsafe, I do not envy the job.

----------
> From: Icndos@aol.com
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Relocation of dosimetry service
> Date: Wednesday, November 20, 1996 2:55 PM
>
> WARNING:    This is somewhat lengthy and is regarding the consolidation
of
> ICN with the (former) Siemens Dosimetry.  It is being posted to Radsafe
as
we
> believe this to be of value to most Radsafers.
>
> As a large number of radsafers are now ICN's customers, we would like to
> advise that effective November 8, the Siemens facility has been relocated
> Costa Mesa California.
>
> To update you on what has occurred, ICN purchased the Siemens dosimetry
group
> on July 18.  It was moved out of the Illinois facility on November 8.
During
> the interim period of July 18 to November 8,  all services received for
the
> (former) Siemens customers  were performed by the same existing Siemens
> management  (as existed prior to the sale) along with the same processing
and
> mis personnel that have always provided your badges and reports. Customer
> service was relocated in August with the same 800 number. There were  had
> phone difficulties the 1st 3 days and we had lots of  complaints those 3
> days.  Customer service response levels are now  measured electronically
and
> have and will continue to dramatically improve.
>
> Therefore. the service  -good or poor-  was under the direction of the
same
> Siemens personnel as prior to ICN purchasing the group.  I believe  going
> forward that all users will be very pleased with the service ICN
personnel
> will provide and ask that you give ICN a chance to prove service will be
> better than you received previously.  I can state, without a doubt, that
the
> technical quality and support will be superior under the direction of the
> Technical Director of both the combined dosimetry service, Sandy Perle,
along
> with the expanded ICN technical staff.  Beginning in December, you will
see a
> more than noticable improvement in response time under the complete
control
> of the ICN  team.
>
> I have been the director of ICN Dosimetry since 1978..way before
NVLAP..when
> there were more than several small companies doing less than technically
> sound dosimetry.  With regulations, the business has been sorted down to
> few who must at least have the same technical standards.  All that
(quality)
> being somewhat equal, service is what customers as yourselves demand.  It
is
> my opinion that if  a commercial processor (ICN or Brand X) cannot
service
> your account to your standards-we don't deserve your business.  Please
bear
> with ICN until after this consolidation and evaluate our service under
ICN
> management and employees.  If you have any criticism after that, email me
>  (sanzzzz@aol.com) or call (800-251-3331) or page me (714-266-7776)
> immediately.....our team will work with you to eliminate the cause of
concern
> as fast as possible.
>
> ICN has  had very positive additions to our staff:
>
> Sandy Perle (formerly of  FP&L) (MS Radiological Physics, BS Chemistry)
> joined ICN in September as Director of Technical Operations of  the
combined
> business and Technical Director of the ICN processes. Sandy is now the
> Technical Director of the combined business and replaces the Siemens
> Technical Director (who decided to leave ICN to pursue his career (as he
> stated to me  preferably in a smaller business atmosphere -ICN  will be a
> Billion Dollar in 97--way big.)  Sandy is a well-known, foremost expert
in
> dosimetry with about 20+ years experience.  He is also a Technical Expert
for
> NVLAP.  The quality of the programs will continue to improve under his
> direction.
>
> Joel White (formerly of Diablo Canyon & LLL) (ME Nuclear Engineering, BS
> Nuclear Engineering) joins us in December as Technical Manager of the
> combined business.  Joel also has over 20+ years experience in dosimetry.
>
> Richard Oswald, Ph.D. (Ph.D in Medical Physics, MS Radiological Physics,
BS
> Physics) joined ICN in April 96 as Director of Sales and Marketing.  He
also
> bring 20+ years experience in Dosimetry, having started with a commercial
> processor setting up their CR39 processes 20 years ago.  He also set up
and
> headed Brand X's UK operation in fairly recent history.  So, even our
Sales
> and Marketing is extremely technically oriented to this business.
>
> Their will be changes during the next several months, mostly to software
and
> definitely an improvement over the system users are currently on. No
product
> changes are anticipated except for the film area.  This is being
evaluated
> for a
> consolidation to the most accurate, quality system.  We will retain both
the
> Harshaw TLD system from Siemens and the Panasonic system currently
offered
by
> ICN.  So, rather than product changes, there will be product selection.
>
> I believe this covers everything---probably more than some really wanted
> to know!  However, based on reports by you, our customers, of receiving
> misinformation, fabrications, innuendos, phone calls and/or chats during
> visits  that  "they don't know what they're doing"  "They only service
> dentists (absolutely not true)", "They're going to give you bad service"
,
> etc....we (the New ICN Team) felt it necessary to advise everyone of the
REAL
> facts.  We  do not and will not stoop to participate in Competitor
Bashing.