Re: Radon in urine Part 2

Moroney, Roger W wrote:
> snip.......
> Several respondents inquired as to subtraction of environmental
> background from samples. Yes there was. I have not seen much of a
> problem in the past (which is not all that long) with radon progeny in
> either our gamma spect results or in the background counts. Certainly
> nothing like the recent urine sample. It seemed to me that it was not
> actually from the subject but having a lack of knowledge in this area I
> was not sure. I am running a new background count now (the current one
> is only a few months old). It has been raining a lot, the weather has
> turned cold and the heat is on. I suspect all of these items could cause
> a rise in the radon levels in our lab.

Roger and Fellow Radsafers,

This is indeed an intgeresting problem.

My only comment is on the frequency of Roger's backgrounds. His
statement that the current background is "ONLY" a few months old
indicates very infrequently done backgrounds.

I would recommend as a standard practice that a background be done with
EVERY BATCH of samples.  It need not be a long background.  By comparing
every background with the historical trend, any "glitches' in the
analysis can be spotted before a bias creeps into the data.

Cheers,
Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                   KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Assoc., Inc.      vanpeltw@mail.idt.net