Agreement State - NRC relationship

As a former Agreement State Employee and seasoned veteran of State
Government, I have genuine reasons to believe that the relationship
between the NRC and Agreement States is a very important relationship
to nurture and maintain.

Without NRC provided training most Agreement State programs would dry up
and blow away. (With a couple of notable exceptions.)

Without NRC adequacy and compatability issues some programs might find it
administratively impossible to conduct rule-makings and enforcement.

Without NRC involvement some issues are beyond the technical capabilities
of some Agreement State programs to efficiently and effectively handle.
The technical assistance provided would be difficult to obtain from
outside sources in a manner that would maintain objectivity.

Without the NRC the exchange of regulatory and safety information could
be impaired unless another entity (such as CRCPD) was utilized to
facilitate this sharing of data and experience.

I'll stop here... (In case I'm preaching to the Choir.)

Bill Pitchford
Radiation Protection Facility
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona 85287-3501