re: Agreement State - NRC relationshipipnship

     I say that we do pay for it......it just doesn't show up in dollars
exchanged......there are a lot of intangibles and mutual benefits which are
difficult to assign a dollar value.  If, and when, the NRC starts charging
the Agreement States, they will get a whole bunch of agreements back.  When
that happens, a lot of folks, who are presently paying fees to Agreement
States and getting the type of service they expect, will be in the same boat
as you......and probably paying higher fees than now, since the NRC would
have to add considerable staff.

I agree with Bill Pitchford's comments.  IMHO, the best solution would be
for NRC to receive some revenue from what would correspond to our state's
"general fund," which is the fed tax barrel.  In reality, all residents of
the U.S. benefit from some activity of both state and federal radiation
protection activities, and they aren't paying their fair-share if the
program is totally fee-based, as is our radiation program.

Happy Thanksgiving.  I'm outta' here.

Bill Spell
bills@deq.state.la.us