More on politics and a kinder, gentler America

Al, I don't know what happened, but here is what I was trying to send:

You said

>That's OK.  You can dislike anything you want to.  I live in a KISS
>world.

I wish I did!!

Actually, I do agree that the problem is simple, but I do not think the
solution is.  I believe that part of the problem is emotional, which is
why we are having problems dealing with the anti-nuclear forces.  We,
scientists, engineers and safety workers of many stripes, recognize
a lot of the limitations that we have to deal with.  And one of them is
the fact that there are no guarantees...to our numbers, life in general
and efforts to reduce risk.  Unfortunitely, the general population has
little understanding of this limitation.  And in many cases, little
concern.  They just don't want any problems in their lives, like a nuclear
power plant in the next county (even if they couldn't find it).   As a
consequence, the idea of "acceptable risks" is unacceptable.  Fear and
ignorance (not in the illiterate sense) are what the anti-nuclear forces
use.  In this case, ignorance is dangerous for our society.

I am very much in favor of nuclear power and the many other uses of
nuclear energy.  But I look at the future of the nuclear power industry,
as well as the development of "big" projects like fusion power and the
superconducting super collider, and am concerned.  I do hope by educating
the public and confronting the anti-forces, we can get things moving again.

>Yes, I have much proof of Clinton's anti bias.  The proof is in letters
>signed by his staff, but on white house stationary, letters from Babbitt
>against Ward Valley and much more....

So the proof of Clinton's bias is in letters signed by his staff and
appointees?   May be we should not use a wide brush to paint the whole
administration.  I do believe that people in power should surround themselves
with those who will give them wise counsel.  If they do not, then others
should speak up.  I intend to start bugging my representatives more, and
may be petitioning the various oversight committees.  It seems to me that
Congress is a big driver in a lot of this downsizing.

Finally, with regard to getting rid of the linear, non-threshold hypothesis,
I wish you luck.  It is a theory.  I do not think it is a driver of
regulations.  Lawyers and politicians, and the fear of litigation are.
And the fact that there is such a thing as "acceptable risk."
ALARA is what should drive regulations.

John Jacobus
john_jacobus@nih.gov

My employer disavows any knowledge of what I am really up to.