Re: Survey

>      Hello everybody,
>          I am currently involved in a study at our facility to
>      try to optimize our use of respirators, anti-contamination
>      clothing and engineering controls.  As part of this study we
>      want to compare our policies and practices with the rest of the
>      country (world).  If some of you would take the time to answer
>      the following questions, it would be appreciated.  If you can
>      only answer some of the questions or some of them do not apply
>      to your facility, please respond to the ones that do.
>
>      Please forward the answers to me directly and I will summarize
>      the results and post it to radsafe for anyone that is
>      interested.
>
>      1.  What type of facility do you work at (i.e. BWR, PWR,
>      research, DOE, etc.)

BWR

>      2.  What is the total dose for your site in a typical year
>      attributed to internal exposure.  What is the minimum detectable
>      intake of you internal dosimetry program.

negligble. <1% of an ALI for unexpected internal

>      3.  What limit for internal exposure are you trying not to
>      exceed. (i.e. the lower of regulation, company policy, etc.)

1% of an ALI for unexpected internal

>      4.  How many entries into airborne areas occur at your facility
>      in a year.

I am not sure of the numbers, but we try to institute engineering controls
so as to not create airborne areas unless it would be ALARA to do otherwise.

>      5.  How many respirators does your site use in a year.

less than 10 for radiological reasons.  Approximately 200 for industrial
reasons.

>      6.  At what concentration of airborne radioactivity do you
>      require a respirator.

0.3 DAC if it will be ALARA to wear it and engineering controls will not be
adequate

>      7.  How many entries into contamination areas occur at your
>      facility in a year.

probably in the thousands during an outage year

>      8.  What is the minimum anti-contamination dress in
>      contamination areas.

Modesty garments, booties and gloves.  More as warranted by contamination
level and/or type of work to be performed.

>      9.  What is the sensitivity (MDA) of your personnel
>      contamination monitors.

PCM-1B's that are set at 5000 dpm ostensibly based on plant isotopic mix
with that ever popular frisker as backup.

>      10. How many time per year does a person exit a contamination
>      area with detectable contamination on his/her personal clothing,
>      skin.

we have had approximately 65 that we classified as "reportable".  This does
not indicate regulatory reportable but only from local procedure perspective.

>       david.allen@fernald.gov

Opinions expressed are mine and mine alone! (i.e., standard disclaimer)
     Howard Conrad
     howcon@ds2.ncweb.com