Waste Line Contamination

Our Facilities department is planning to replace all of the sanitary
sewer waste lines in a laboratory building where long lived radioactive
wastes have been dicharged via the sinks over the past 20 y.

I have advised them that the radiation safety of workers needs to be
addressed for the demolition phase due to possible contamination within
the pipes and that they should plan on disposing of the plumbing as
radioactive waste if necessary.

The unplanned, increased costs have prompted them to request a survey of
the drain lines. Since we have never, routinely, surveyed inside
waste lines, DOES ANYONE HAVE DOCUMENTATION OF INTERIOR PIPE
CONTAMINATION DUE TO ROUTINE SEWER DISCHARGES? Please respond directly
to me.  Thanks
--
Scott B. Webb, RSO