Re: Conn Yankee shuts down

Group:
Sandy Perle wrote, in part:

>   With its nuclear arm in mothballs, Northeast Utilities must
> import up to 2,100 megawatts of power to meet this winter's
> anticipated peak demand of 5,300 MW. It has said it is
> ''cautiously optimistic'' that Connecticut residents will not be
> left in the cold this winter.
>   As Connecticut Yankee's board was voting to close the plant,
> top officials at Northeast Utilities were meeting with NRC
> representatives in Waterford, Conn., to explain a long list of
> nuclear plant violations.

I believe that in the past NE had a contract to import power from
Canada. Does anyone have current info about this? I ask because the US
is now taking steps to "de-regulate" electricity and I've been told by a
Federal official that US citizens will be able to buy power from the
supplier of their choice in a year or two. If this is true we all may
want to buy from Canada. Canadian power is cheaper, I believe? Fewer
rules and resrtictions?

--
H.Wade Patterson
1116 Linda Lane

"When we hold a conclusion inviolate, sometimes the assumptions require
certain adjustments."  Harold Hopfenberg, Prof. of Chem. Eng., N.
Carolina State University.