Re: Conn Yankee shuts down

> I believe that in the past NE had a contract to import power from
> Canada. Does anyone have current info about this? I ask because the US
> is now taking steps to "de-regulate" electricity and I've been told by a
> Federal official that US citizens will be able to buy power from the
> supplier of their choice in a year or two. If this is true we all may
> want to buy from Canada. Canadian power is cheaper, I believe? Fewer
> rules and resrtictions?

This is to be feared if you love Rivers and wild places.  Canada is
all too eager to dam marvelous free flowing rivers, and a big energy
market in the US would be a great excuse to do so.  Hydroelectric
power is not free; we lose whitewater recreation and riverine
ecosystems.  The tendency for North Americans to dam every moving
water source is one of the reasons I'm beginning to think that
nuclear power is an important option.

David F. Gilmore
Assistant Professor of Environmental Biology    0  0
P.O. Box 599, Dept. of Biological Sciences       __    "have a day"
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
ph  501-972-3082    fax 501-972-2638