Re: greenpeace

Richard G. Piccolo wrote:

> Regarding Greenpeace and the errant satellite:
>
> The reality is that when a satellite falls to earth, people
> should notice. Add to that the power source of Plutonium,
> people should most certainly notice.

Why should they notice if plutonium is the power source any more than if
something nonradioactive were the source?  The plutonium capsule is
designed so that it won't disintegrate.  There is not an external
radiation hazard from the capsule.  All that could happen is a capsule
could hit someone and kill them.  Same thing could happen with any part
of a satellite.  We MUST stop making radioactive material and radiation
special hazards.  They aren't, in light of what we know about how to
control the risks from them.

> Another point to remember is that radiation and radioactive
> material ARE hazardous. Just because we as HPs understand, and
> in most cases downplay the hazard, doesn't require others to
> follow suit.

No, it doesn't "require" others to follow suit.  But they should.
Unless, of course WE think there's some special hazard about radiation.
I think WE should be the leaders in setting forth what the public should
think about the risks of radiation.  They certainly shouldn't fear low
doses.  If we aren't doing our job of protecting people and the
environment from unwarranted effects of radiation, WE are the ones who
should hang our heads.  The nuclear industry is one of the safest, if
not THE safest in the world.  We should tell people that.

It is sort of like the oil companies (not all, or
> many by any measure) downplaying a oil tanker fire, leak, or
> wreck. Isn't that truly something to pay attention to and ask
> questions about?

I don't agree with the oil company analogy.  The environmental effects
of tanker oil spills are corrected by NATURE in a few years.  Plants are
growing at the Trinity site, Bikini, Hiroshima and Nagasaki and around
Chernobyl.  Sure, there were people killed in Japan.  Too bad.  Japan
killed Americans at Pearl Harbor and a lot of other places.  The bomb
stopped the war.  Nuclear power plants are environmentally the most
benign of all electricity sources. WE must stop aiding and abetting the
anti nuclears in making radiation a special hazard.

> While I don't agree with all the policies and activities of
> Greenpeace et al, they do some good things in the world and I
> appreciate the fact that they do.

What good do they do?? I haven't seen anything good come out of
Greenpiece lately.

If we were all cut from the
> same cloth, the world would truly be one huge mess.

Thank God for diversity!
It is truly a mess already if you read or watch the media.
No ad hominem attack intended.  Only the ideas.

So much for the soapbox for today.  Sorry Melissa, but it's raining here
today and I feel evil.  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov