A Matter of Ethics

Although I hesitate to jump into the fray, I nonetheless think that Vince
Chase has opened a subject that bears discussion. It is an important issue
that he raises, and one fraught with ethical conundrums.  I could argue that
he has an obligation and a right to speak out.

I was saddened to see the reply from Vince Chase (see infra) for it says to
me that at least some of us scientists have had our freedom to speak out
publicly on scientifically relevant issues taken from us.  Another
interpretation is that we have sold out (perhaps even willingly) our freedom
of speech to our employers.  [Hopefully, this censorship is not extended to
presentation of scientific papers at open scientific meetings such as the
HPS.]  In the ethical sense, we have an obligation to report improper or
criminal activity to our employers or the authorities, so why not scientific
fact?  The restrictions, real or perceived, imposed by employers (including
the government) are, in my opinion, one important reason why there is such
an abyssmal lack of knowledge about science and environmental consequences
of technology within the public sector, and why there is such opposition to
nuclear power and other technological benefits.  Aided by the news media,
those who do speak out -- the politicians, PR people for various companies
and industries, and the anti-somethings, typically are advocating a
particular viewpoint or opinion that is often contrary to fact or the
generally held scientific opinion.

One's employer is a matter of record and easily obtained, and the disclaimer
that many use should, I should think, be adequate when we make a valid
statement of fact.  So long as we are speaking for ourselves, and not as a
representative of any organization, we should be free to speak out.  And, we
should have sufficient professionalism and ethics to do so in a manner that
will ensure that we have not compromised our obligations to our employers.

Finally, I call attention to the wonderful article written by John Dunster
many years ago dealing with certain ethical aspects of health physics -- The
Health Physicist: Virtue in Compromise.

Ron Kathren
Washington State University
rkathren@tricity.wsu.edu