Re: Greenpeace again

sweis wrote:

> One factual correction that I would like to make is:
>
> Al Tschaeche said:
>
> >If the @#$%^& anti nuclear people would just get out of the way, we
> >could dispose of the waste for a fraction of the cost that they are
> >forcing us to spend.  Chris doesn't seem to know that the antis set up a
> >red herring in the waste issue.  They said that there is no way to
> >dispose of the waste and then they do everything they can to prevent any
> >new waste facility from opening.  When WIPP starts operating, they will
> >have lost.  We know how to dispose of the waste safely.  Let's get on
> >with it.
>
> WIPP is a DOE facility intended to dispose of DOE-generated TRU waste.
> Perhaps some
> waste from DOE research reactors will end up in WIPP, but as far as spent
> fuel rods from commercial reactors going to WIPP, it is not currently planned.
>
> If AL meant to say that the opening of WIPP will pave the way for other
> disposal areas, that would be debateable.
>
> Thanks again for the opportunity to voice an opinion.
>
> Christopher Beyer
> sweis@roadrunner.com

I did mean to say that.  However, I don't want to debate it further.  In
my discussions with the antis, it has become clear that they will
forever oppose ANY nuclear waste disposal system.  Even when WIPP starts
operating and another site such as Yucca Mountain or Ward Valley is
planned, the antis will fight it.  However, once WIPP opens, their
sweeping argument that there is no safe place to store nuclear waste
evaporates.  The public and the government will see that and, I hope,
reject all other and subsequent obstructionist anti arguments against
nuclear waste sites for whatever purpose.  Of course politics being what
it is, my hope may be forlorn.  I just want my children and
grandchildren, etc. to have nuclear generated electricity.  The antis
obviously don't want anyone to have any electricity or any other kind of
energy so that the number of people on earth will decrease.  They want
my children and grandchildren to suffer.  I will not stand for
that!!!!!!  Lest you think that I don't speak the truth, read the anti
literature on this subject.  It's been fun.  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov