Re: F18 transport

<< Our institution is interested in shipping F18 (cyclotron produced positron
emitter)
  out of state. It would be picked up by the purchaser at our facility
 and transported in their vehicle. The maximum activity would be about
 1 Curie.

 What are the regulatory requirements for this? I assume a shielded
 package with Transport Index labeling. Is there any other precaution
 or requirement to be aware of??

 Is this covered by anyone besides the DOT?

 Thanks for your help as always, >>

Regulatory requirements for the shipment would typically be covered by the
DOT regs.  Many states incorporate those regulations into their own, and in
any case, any shipment that would be regulated by the DOT would have to
comply with their regs.

I'm not sure what the current A1 value is, but in the 1993 version it was 20
Curies, so you could ship one Curie in whatever today's equivalent of a
strong tight container is (I don't believe that language is in the DOT regs
anymore).  I would strongly recommend getting a copy of 49 CFR or getting
assistance from someone at your facility, or a consultant who is familiar
with those regulations and has the current version available.

You will have to comply with the radiation level limits, contamination
limits, the labelling requirements, marking requirements, shipping paper
requirements, ensure that the package is properly secured in the vehicle and
that radiation levels outside the vehicle comply with DOT requirements as
well (this is not a comprehensive list, there are probably additional
requirements, these are just coming off the top of my regulatory head).

Barbara L. Hamrick, who only (yet frequently) expresses her own opinion.
BLHamrick@aol.com
Los Angeles County Radiation Management