Shipping Packages Again

Joey,

You stated  that you  are shipping  Type A  quantities.   As  a  general
statement Type A packages can not be purchased as an off the shelf item.
Every purported  seller of  a USA DOT 7A Type A package that has come to
my  attention   has  some   deficiencies  in   their  Type   A   package
documentation.   Every testing  laboratory that  I have encountered does
not provide  complete Type  A package  documentation.  Usually they meet
the requirements  for loss of contents from the package, but they do not
address if  the surface  radiation changes  less then  20%.   Also, most
Type A package  documentation that  I have  seen only address the Type A
tests 173.463,  173.465 and  173.466; but  does not  address the general
design requirements  173.410, and the Type A package design requirements
173.412.

The major  commercial shippers  of Type A packages do not generally make
available  their   package  documentation   as  a  matter  of  liability
protection.   If you  had such  documentation you  would have to prepare
your shipment  in precisely the manner as described in the documentation
including the inner container.

A good  reference on  Type A  packaging is DOE/RL-96-57, Volume 1, "Test
and Evaluation  Document for  DOT Specification  7A Type  A  Packaging."
This can be found at the following address:
            http://www.hanford.gov/pss/t&p/dot7a/pdot7a.htm

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant
Federal Express Corporation
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269
Pager: 800-759-7243 PIN 30630
-------------( Forwarded computer archived letter follows )-------------
    09-Jan-97 09:40 CST
Sb: Shipping Packages Again
Fm: Joey L Michael > INTERNET:jsmichael@juno.com

Once Again we have a question about shipping small radioactive packages.

The University of Iowa would like to know what types of shipping
containers other Universities are using to ship (by Fed Ex) Type A
quantities of radioactive materials in compliance with current DOT
regulations.  We occasionally (2 or 3 times are year) need ship a White I
or Yellow II quantity.  Liquid volumes are usually less than 25 ml and
are usually shipped on dry ice.  Very occasionally we ship a sealed
source.  Where do you get your boxes (fiberboard) and Styrofoam liners?
Have they been tested according to DOT regs?  Do you have certification
documents for these boxes?  If a vendor such as NEN, Amersham, ICN,
(sorry vendors - cant list you all) has allowed you to reuse their
containers - who is your contact and what is their phone #?  Where do you
purchase your security seals?  Any information is very much appreciated!

Joey Michael
University of Iowa
Health Protection Office
JSMichael@Juno.com