SCIENCE vs OPINION...

     One can't help but wonder what the recently-late Carl Sagan would've
     said about the subject. A recent letter to the editor of our local
     TriCity Herald by Mike McCormack, Executive Director, The Institute
     for Science and Society states:

     "I'm certain the death of Carl Sagan on Dec. 19 caused thousands of
     educators and scientists, along with countless others, to experience a
     pang of grief, perhaps mixed with a quiet, misty-eyed salute to a man
     who has done so much to help his fellow citizens of Earth overcome the
     most insidious of the ancient enemies of humankind: ignorance, and its
     ugly offspring: fear, superstitiion, cultism and intolerance.
     Sagan's latest book:  THE DEMON-HAUNTED WORLD -- SCIENCE AS A CANDLE
     IN THE DARK was clearly his valedictory -- his gift to us.  And a
     beautiful gift it is, helping us recognize that science is simply an
     endless search for understanding in our universe.
     Sagan helps us avoid the many demons that have haunted humankind
     throughout history.  And he helps us recognize and reject the
     pseudo-science, anti-science, quackery and mental enslavement that
     have fed on igorance, and bred superstition and fear.
     Sagan said that he was in love with science, and that when one is in
     love, he or she wants to share that love with everyone else.  Hence,
     his life as a teacher.  His teaching came through his books and
     lectures and video programs, available to all, even if he is no longer
     physically present.
     Sagan's efforts, and those of others, to help us understand, make it
     possible for men and women everywhere to stand strong and unafraid,
     confident that the truth will indeed make us free."

     Randall Brich
     USDOE, Richland Operations
     e-mail: randall_f_brich@rl.gov