Re: Tritium Bromide

In my experience, Radiation Safety Committees have typically
prohibited researchers from using compounds for which there is no
viable disposal option (viable meaning legal or cost effective).  For
a number of years we prohibited the use of long lived isotopes such as Na-22,
Cl-36, etc because of the uncertainty of the Barnwell situation.  We
have also prohibited research protocols which would generate mixed waste because of the
unavailability of a disposal facility.

In most cases, researchers have been clever enough to find
alternatives for which there are viable disposal alternatives.  In
other cases, researchers discover that they can live without that
particular part of their experiment.

Good Luck,
Ron Amoling
RSO