Re: Re[2]: NRRPT

Mace Davis wrote:

At 22:26 01/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
 > My experience has been, and I think you'll find consistent similarities,
> that the certification is only considered insignificant by those who don't
> have it. I used to be among this (uninformed) group, until I took the test
> myself, and failed (the first time around).
>
> It's certainly not the CHP certification, but it's by no means a gimme.
>
> Consider your sources, and see if I'm not right.
>

>There has been some debate among my coworkers as to the value of NRRPT
>certification.  I found the exam to be very difficult and feel proud of my
>achievement.  Some coworkers feel it is overrated and not significant.
> Although I would consider myself far inferior in the field to the majority
>of "Radsafer's" I would appreciate some more knowledgable thoughts.

Certification is always desireable.  Certification of Technologists as well
as of Professonals is an indication to the "non-informed" person that a
certain minimum standard of excellence and knowledge has been obtained.
Those that tend to "bad mouth" certification are generally persons who for
one reason or another have not chosen to "prove" that they have met the
minimum fundamental standards tested by the certification process.

Currently, the practice of Radiology under the federal guidelines issued by
the FDA to meet the Mammography Quality Standards Act of 1992 is undergoing
a major standards upgrade.  Board certification is now being
expected/required of all those who are involved in the mammography process.
 This includes physicians, radiological technologists and medical
physicsts.  For those who have not been directly affected by this law, let
me assure you that there has been a GREAT deal of complaining and knashing
of teeth on this issue.  When things are finally done and over with on this
issue, BOARD CERTIFICATION will be a requirement.

I think we are going to see similar trends in Radiation Safety/Protection.
If not, we can close down all of our facilities and go home.  Our critics
are also beginning to learn about the importance of certification.

JERRY THOMAS

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

mailto:thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246