Anomalies of Nuclear Criticality

Re: the recent discussion on fissile versus fissionable.

Those interested in reading further about odd-ball
aspects of nuclear criticality may wish to obtain a copy
of "Anomalies of Nuclear Criticality", E.D. Clayton,
PNL-SA-4868-Rev. 5, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory,
(1979).

Dr. Clayton has been a key figure in criticality research
and for many years ran the Critical Mass Laboratory at the
Hanford site.  If you have an opportunity to hear one of
Dr. Clayton's presentations, I recommend doing so.  He has an
interesting presentation style that mixes fact with speculation.
He is careful to make a distinction between fact and fiction.

Several years ago, I heard one of his presentations where he
discussed muon catalyzed 'cold fusion'.  [As I recall, this
was before the Pons and Fleishmann furor over their so-called
Cold Fusion.]  Dr. Clayton was extrapolating on our need for
energy for deep space exploration.  His talk was accompanied
by Star Trek theme music.

Rob Tayloe <tayloe@ibm.estd.battelle.org>
Columbus, OH