Re: NRRPT vs 10CFR835

I passed the NRRPT in 1976 and the test was challenging.  I am currently
unemployed and would NOT like to see NRRPT used as a barrier to entry for
employment applicants as CHP frequently is.  IMO that passing an examination
only indicates the ability to learn and take tests - but does not reflect
experience, judgement, ethical standards, energy, creativity, courage, and a
host of other qualities that an excellent employee brings to the job.  NRRPT
and CHP certainly might be the deciding factor if all else is equal but
should not be a prerequisite for consideration.  Frequently prospective
employers are not knowledgeable in health physics and believe passing such a
test is proof of competence.  Let's face it 99% of the people who passed
these tests could not pass today without hundreds of hours of preparation.

Doug Turner <turners@earthlink.net>