Re: use of neutron sources

At 06:57 AM 2/5/97 -0600, LIPTONW@detroitedison.com wrote:

>I received a note from our maintenance group that roofers will be bringing a
>neutron source on site.  I have no idea what this is for!
>
>I'd appreciate information from anyone who is familiar with this use of a
>neutron source regarding:
>
>what kind of source
>
>expected activity level
>
>purpose
>
>special precautions
>
>Please reply thru RADSAFE or directly to me.
>
>Bill Lipton
>liptonw@detroitedison.com

-----------
It probably will be used for moisture measurements in locating leaks.
Neutrons are scattered by hydrogen in water under the roofing.  This
is a common industrial application for Am-241/Be or Ra-226/Be sources.
Approved designs produce low to unmeasurable dose rates at distances
farther away than ~1-2 m.

ELI A.PORT, CHP, CIH, P.E.
RSSI
eport@nwu.edu