Re: Accident Dose Standards

Gary & Cathy:

        I think it depends on what type of accident dose standards you
want--accident/incident dose standards a to member of the public or
accident/incident (planned special exposure) dose standards to trained
radiation workers.  Dose standards for the latter are in 10 CFR 20.  The
only radiation accident dose 'standard' for a member of the public, that I
know of, is in 10 CFR 100.11, where for purposes of reactor siting, a
reactor exclusion area boundary is determined by calculating the distance at
which a hypothetical member of the public might sustain a dose of 25 rem
within two hours following a design-basis accident.  For nuclear battlefield
purposes, the military basically tries to limit soldier whole-body dose to
150 rem through its doctrine of radiation exposure status (RES) categories
(RS-0, RS-1, RS-2, RS-4).  To the extent that the use of nukes can be
considered to be an 'accident/incident,' this dose standard might be
helpful.  Also, as far as I know, us United States radiation protection
types tend to limit radiation risk to an individual based almost exclusively
on limiting the DOSE sustained, as opposed to limiting to the overall RISK,
itself, wherein risk, as you stated might simplistically be couched in the
rubric of RISK = (Detriment (unwanted dose)) X (probability of occurrence).
At any rate, e-mail me direct and provide a little more explanatory
information about the type of accident doses you are looking for; I might be
able to be of further help.  REGARDS  David

At 03:33 PM 04-02-97 -0600, you wrote:
>I need info re accident dose standards.  That is:  systems, components,
>structures shall limit credible accident doses (or dose x probability) to
>some set of values.  I have heard that some work on this was performed in
>England.  Any of you Brits out there (or anyone else) familiar with such
>work?  Please respond.

David W. Lee
Radiation Protection Policy
& Programs Analysis Group (ESH-12)