boothe@3-cities.com (gary and cathy boothe)

To boothe@3-cities.com (gary and cathy boothe)

I believe that  you have some misunderstanding on limits/levels by the way
that you make your question. It is essential to avoid confusion between the
dose limits and constraints for normal operations and the intervention
levels, in case of an accident. Although both apply analogous principle on
justification and optimization, they are applied to different quantities.
Intervention levels have entirely different bases from the dose limits and
constraints. The Spectrum for Intervention levels is much more complex than
limits for normal operation.
In case of an accident, in special releases of radioactive materials, doses
to individuals in the population can only be reduced by intervention. Iin
another words: through the imposition of protective measures , which will
normally inconvenience people and alter they environment. These measures may
include sheltering, evacuation, administration of stable iodine, banning of
contaminated food, modification of agricultural and industrial processes,
decontamination measures, temporary relocation or permanent resettlement of
the population.
The two most important examples of application of Intervention levels were:
a) The Accident in Chernobyl , a Nuclear Power Plant accident
b) The Radiological Accident in Goiania (Brazil) an abandoned source of
Cs-137 for Teletherapy, accident
I suggest that you should take a look in the following documents to
understand better
a) the meaning of Radiation Safety Standards
b) Intervention and Actions Levels during an accident

1 - The "Bible" on Safety Standards, The BSS, IAEA-Safety Series I -115, 1994:
GO TO Appendix V - Emergency Exposure Situations, page 71/75 and Schedule IV
and V , page 325 to 329

2 - IAEA-Safety Series 109, 1994: Intervention Criteria in a Nuclear or
Radiation Emergency.
You need to take a look in the complete document

As Practical Example

3- IAEA - STI/PUB/815 - 1994 - "The Radiological Accident in Goiania, Brazil"

4 - The Health Physics Special Issue - "The Goiania Radiation Accident"
Volume 60, Number 1, January 1991

If you have any doubt during the interpretation of the levels in the two
first document you can ask me to clarify, directly or through the RADSAFERS

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Consultant, Radiation Safety & Regulation
for development country (some times for developed ones')

PS I managed in the Radiological Accident in Goiania, as General Coordinator
in that 1,000,000 inhabitants Brazilian city