Re: Dose needed to sterilize

We have a Shepherd Mark 1 irradiator.  For biological inactivation our
researchers use 1 to 1.5 MRad.  However, for sterilization,  most b
researchers use 2 to 2.5 MRad,  which is the level I believe the
FDA recommends for food sterilization.  Sorry, but I do not have a
nominal dose rate number but most of our researchers like to have
the dose delivered within 1 hour, max.  Also,  we use a revolving
table in the irradiator to insure uniform dose delivery.

Hope this helps.

Vince Chase
772EAR@delphi.com
Radiation Safety Officer
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
The opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent
the opinions or policies of Boehringer Ingelhiem Pharmaceuticals