Re: radiopharmaceutical patient release

J. J. Rozental wrote:
 GUIDANCE LEVEL FOR MAXIMUM ACTIVITY FOR PATIENTS IN THERAPY
> ON DISCHARGE FROM HOSPITAL, CONSIDERING I-131
>
> 1100 MBq  (FOOT NOTE: IN SOME COUNTRIES A LEVEL OF 400 MBq IS USED AS AN
> EXAMPLE OF GOOD PRACTICE)
>
>  "In Australia the legal limit for OP treatment is
> set at 555MBq.",

So, here we have a real example of de minimis.  How can regulatory
agencies justify setting limits of 1 to 15 mrem per year from effluents
from nuclear facilities when there are thousands (millions) of patients
walking around irradiating their associates to doses higher than that?
I don't think there are any rules about being careful not to be around
more than one such patient at a time.  Something's wrong with the
system.  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov