Mystery Source Ident

Karam:

You have  in may  opinion two  very early industrial radiography cameras
vintage cira  1950.   The sources were probably Ir-192, although Ra-226,
Cs-137 and/or Co-60 are possibilities.

1. M. W.  Kellog Company  went out  of the source manufacturing business
   approximately mid-1950's to early 60's.

2 and  3.   This was  referred to  as the "tear drop" camera; but at the
   moment I  can not  think of the manufacturer.  Possibly Budd Company,
   but I  am not  sure.  If and when I find out or recall I will contact
   you.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269
-------------( Forwarded computer archived letter follows )-------------
    07-Feb-97 14:21 CST
Sb: Mystery source identification assistance requested
Fm: Andrew Karam > INTERNET:karam.1@osu.edu

RadSafer's:

We have three old sealed sources in devices with little or no identifying
information regarding nuclide, activity, and/or manufacturer.  If anyone in
RadSafe-land can help us to learn anything about these sources, we would
greatly appreciate your assistance.  Please send any responses to:

karam.1@osu.edu

Source #1:
Kel-Ray Projector, Model CB-130, no date, no nuclide or activity information
contained on the source label plaque.  Manufactured by the M.W. Kellog
Company.  Does anyone know if these people are still in business and how we
can contact them?

Sources #2 & #3:
These devices are labelled "Rock Island Arsenal".  One contains a US Army
Property Tag, #DA-11-022-0R4-1462-1.  Both devices are tear drop-shaped and
are mounted on a stand with a height of about 1.5'.  The pointed end of the
tear drop is removeable and lockable.  When removed, they uncover what seems
to be a beam port and some internal equipment.  Two handwheels (one on each
side of the tear drop) seem to be used to orient the beam port (cranking the
handles will cause the shield to rotate around one axis).  Does anyone know
who might have manufactured these, what they may have contained, when
devices such as these were manufactured, or where we may be able to find
this information?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to give us.

Regards,

Andrew Karam, CHP (karam.1@osu.edu)
Office of Radiation Safety
The Ohio State University
1314 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH  43212

Phone: (614) 292-1284   Fax: (614) 292-6404     Alt fax:   292-7002