Re: radiopharmaceutical patient release

Al et al,

Another view:

Al Tschaeche wrote:

> One might be able to ameliorate the irrational reactions by explaining
> that regulatory agencies have set limits on what patients may "give" to

insert "irrational limits"

> others after release from the medical facility.  I know that some
> members of the public don't trust such agencies and so probably would
> not accept such arguments.  But, in my experience, most would.

delete "not"

> Should the patient be advised NOT to tell others (s)he is radioactive?
>
> Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov

Perhaps the patient could be advised that millions of patients receive such
exposures every year, with no evidence of adverse effects found (by as much
investigation as the concerned radiation protection standards bodies have been
inspired to do with respect to their great concerns about human welfare).

If the patient is at essentially no risk with the material in them, why would
a rational person consider that the much lower dose to others is significant?
(excusing the practioner or another party who is continuously exposed to many
patients and procedures).

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com