Re: Personal Dosimeter Issuing Policy

As a first step, I'd suggest putting most of your monitored population on
quarterly badging. If prospective studies, and, now, exposure histories, show
that the monthly frequency cannot detect the exposures that your people MAY
be receiving, you are not getting your money's worth. Also, I recommend at
least threatening to charge the employees for lost badges ($8 from our
vendor).
The politics of when to badge people, for the purpose of negative
documentation, and/or the comfort level of the staff, as opposed to
regulatory compliance, are so variable that it's difficult to give broad
suggestions as to when/how to terminate badging. In general, though, I've
found that when people know and trust the hp's, and their own supervisors and
managers, it's much easier to badge rationally.

Chris Alston
ccja@aol.com