Pros & Cons of Liberal Personal Dosimeter Issuing Policy

Thank you for those who responded to my posting of Personal Dosimeter
Issuing Policy.

I have the following specific arguments and I would appreciate comments
regarding them. The purpose of this is we have both groups, for and
 against current policy, in this campus. I would like collect all
information I can get and present to the groups. Hopefully this matter
will be settled one way or the other. 99% of badges come back as zero(0).
If we apply 10% rule, we probably could eliminate our whole dosimetry
program.

Advantages of liberal badge policy, I feel, are:
	1. Workers may feel we care. If we deny a requested badge to a
	   person who handle or work near RAM, that person may feel we are
	   trying to hide something and not care about him/her safety.
	2. Confirming negative exposure is better than no monitoring and
	   no records,
	3. In next 20-30 years, dosimetry records may be only records
	   available. It is likely that persons who are directly involved
	   would not be here. If a court case arise in future, it may be
	   easier to show negative exposure than trying to justify why the
	   person(s) did not need to be monitored, and
	4. others(?).
Disadvatages:
	1. Fiscal and FTE requirements,
	2. Issuing a badge may give a perception to wearer, an existance
	   of certain radiation level, which may not be true at all,
	3. I received a statement that dosimetry records could easily be
	   discredited in court by a knowledgeable lawyer, and
	4. Others(?).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments.

This is only my opinion...
Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
(702) 784-4540(voice)
(702) 784-4553(fax)