Re: Personal Dosimeter Issuing Policy

>...I am collecting information whether our liberal policy is beneficial to
>us. I would like to hear from other institutions about dosimeter issuing
>policies and their reasonning behind them.
>Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>

We too practice a very open policy. Most of the dosimeters issued have a
zero reading, when they come back. We issue about  1500 film badges a month.
Additional monitoring include Albedo-dosemeters, Nuclear track detectors
and finger ring dosemeters (TLD). Each of the persons monitored is  treated
as a radiation worker. Strictly keeping with the rules we would have a much
smaller number of people to be monitored and spend much less money on it,
but we feel that our research centre  earns this money back by
- showing people who work for us that we really care for them
- workers feeling more comfortable wearing a badge
- getting a documentation on actual level of exposures and being able to do
both proof and check that there have not been any 'unobserved' exposures
- being able to proof the efficiency of ALARA principles applied
- being able to proof the low level of exposure or non-exposure  if it comes
to ligitation (happens from time to time that people claim the cancer they
suffer from to be caused by radiation exposure in the research centre).

Kind regards

 Dr.Peter Hill                          phone: +49-2461-61-5081
 Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH         fax  : +49-2461-61-3726
 D-52425 Juelich/Germany            email:P.Hill@kfa-juelich.de

 <><