No Subject

Many years ago I was Director of a School of Radiologic Technology.
 Probably most programs used the texts by John Selman [Fundamentals of X-ray
and Radium Physics] and S. Bushong [Radiologic Science for Technologists:
Physics, Biology and Protection] for training xray students.  These had
excellent sections on annual occupational dose limits, film/TLD badges, etc.
 There are curriculum guides for approved Radiologic Technology Programs.
 In NJ where I taught, we also had State inspections of the Program as well
as our National Inspectors to review what was taught and that how it was
presented was adequate.  Our students took the National Boards for
Radiologic Technologists [ARRT] , which included large sections on these
issues.

I guess it is like anything else.  Some people learn well, understand and
remember.  Others do less well and show up in the population of persons
asking questions because they do not understand.  Then too, perhaps there
are some instructors that put higher emphasis on the day to day
radiographing of patients and less on how badges work.  However, IMO,
radiologic techs are provided training on these issues and should be able to
answer patient's questions.  If they do not know the answers, motivated
persons generally can find the resources to get answers.  That may include
vendor reps.

Aggie Barlow
Agnes.Barlow@Yale.edu
203 737-2142