Re: Rad workers - but not trained

Keith Welch stated the following:

> The techs and PhDs get enough training (hopefully) to keep from injuring
> others, but at that level, you cannot expect the training to actually
> provide a good 'understanding' of HP.  After all, how long is the average
> hospital rad training course, a couple hours?

Very good point. The injury as I see it is the intangible injury, the
one they cause by providing others misinformation that could have
long term impact on their patients as well as the general population.
There is also the cost to the facility in the way of time in
answering their concersm, employee concerns programs where
documentation is written up regarding their radiation exposure. Also,
an uninformed worker with respect to radiation safety and exposure in
general, is more apt to sue if their own health should fail.
Statistics bear out the fact that when a worker perceives that the
facility does not have their best interest in mind, then that person
has a higher probablility of filing a law suit. Initial training and
a continuing education program provide the worker with the basis that
the employer does in fact care about them, and wants them better
trained to do their job, and, understand the basics of what they do
and why, when it comes to radiation safety.

> In HP it is easy to forget the
> importance of the individual doing the job because we rely so heavily on
> "the program" - as if the people carrying out the program are all
> interchangeable.  All you trainers out there who really care, give
> yourselves a pat on the back.  YOU make the difference between rad workers
> who "understand" and those who don't.

I couldn't agree with the above statement any more than the way you
stated it. The trainer, as in any teacher or mentor, is the key
ingredient.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
        sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -