Type A Containers

Don,

Please see my e-mail of 5-Feb-97  21:27:00 to RADSAFE.

I concur with your Items 1 and 2 below.

In Item  3 the  old Don  Edling, Mound  Laboratory Report,  subsequently
became the  "Westinghouse Report,"  and that  has now  become the  "Rust
Laboratories Report."    See  "Test  and  Evaluation  Document  for  DOT
Specification 7A Type A Packaging" at
            http://www.hanford.gov/pss/t&p/dot7a/pdot7a.htm
              (Note: This web address is case sensitive.)

Concerning Item  4 I  can not  speak directly concerning the two testing
laboratories that  you reference in your e-mail, but I have not found to
date any  testing laboratory  that provides  complete certification  for
Type A  packaging.  There are two criteria for Type A packaging: (1) The
packaging will  prevent loss  or dispersal  of the radioactive contents;
and (2)  The packaging  will  prevent  a  significant  increase  in  the
radiation levels recorded or calculated at the external surfaces for the
condition before  the test.   Most  testing laboratories do an excellent
job on  the loss  or dispersal  criteria, but  I have not seen a testing
laboratory that satisfactorily addresses the significant increase in the
surface radiation  levels.   "Significant increase"  is interpreted  via
IAEA Safety  Series 6  to mean no more than a 20 percent increase in the
surface radiation  level.   The other  shortcoming that  I have found is
that many testing laboratories only address the testing requirements and
do not  include in  their certification  the remaining  requirements for
Type A packaging.

In Item  5 of your e-mail you are correct that 49 CFR 172.700 documented
training is  required for  shipment  of  excepted  radioactive  material
packages.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant to
Federal Express Corporation
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269
------------( Forwarded computer archived letter 1 follows )------------
    12-Feb-97 17:16 CST
Sb: Re: Containers for Type A
Fm: "Don_Jordan" > INTERNET:Don_Jordan@fpm.uchicago.edu

It's taken me a while to dig through the email backlog to get to this one
- and I do not believe I've seen anyone else address it.

1.      The difference in testing requirements between IP-3 and Type-A
struck me as so minor that many people would simply choose to do the full
Type-A

2.      The TYPe-A testing must be done on the proposed packaging with
something that approximates its proposed contents. I.e., you can get
anything certified as Type-A, if it passes all the tests (The general
tests for all packages as well as the specific Type-A tests.)

3.      I have been told that DoE had someone do general Type A testing
for DOT-17 (M or H?) steel drums.  (Note: this is an essentially obsolete
- but still useful - construction standard; as compared to the new
performance based standards.)  The results of these tests (I've been told)
are contained in the "Mound Report".  If I get a copy I'll try to make it
available.

4.      You can submit your package design and simulated radioactive
contents to any qualified testing laboratory to perform the Type-A tests,
or you can do them yourself (keep very good record of the tests!)
The tests for Type-A liquids include a 30 foot drop, which we did not feel
comfortable doing ourselves.  Some testing labs in PA which are IATA/ICAO
certified are:

        Propack Inc.
        76 Jansen Av
        Essington, PA  19029
        Tel. 610-521-4050

        Professional Service Industries, Inc.
        Pittsburgh Testing Laboratory Division
        850 Poplar St.
        Pittsburgh, PA 15220
        Tel.  412-922-4000
              412-922-4014

These addresses are from the 1995 IATA Guide and the Zip's are reproduced
correctly. The testing we had done cost us $500 per package design.

5.      You definitely do need to be a DoT certified Hazmat Shipper to
ship Type A quantities (and probably to ship Excepted Packages too.)
Training for this should cost something in the range of 500-1000.

Don Jordan
The University of Chicago
Office of Radiation Safety
Zoology Building Room 11
1101 East 57th Street
Chicago,  Illinois  60615
Tel.    773-702-6299
Fax     773-702-4008
email Don_Jordan@fpm.uchicago.edu
------------( Forwarded computer archived letter 2 follows )------------
    5-Feb-97  21:27:00
Sb: Containers for Type A
To: INTERNET:radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu;
    Eric Boeldt > INTERNET:ejb6@psu.edu

Eric:

> Does anyone know of a company that sells Industrial Packaging-3
> containers?
     To my knowledge no company sells IP-3 packaging for the same reason
     that no company sells a "complete" DOT 7A Type A packaging.  I know
     that some  companies purport  to sell  Type A packaging,  but those
     that have  come to  my attention  have one  or more deficiencies in
     their documentation;  usually  the  requirement  that  the  surface
     radiation level  not increase  by more  than 20% after the required
     tests.

     Note  an   IP-3  package   must  meet  all  the  Type  A  packaging
     requirements except  for the liquid absorbent or containment system
     requirements and the increased free drop and penetration tests.

> What could I purchase that would come close to the requirements that I
> could then test to get my required Type A container.  I need  to
> purchase some 55-gallon drums, 30 gallon drums, 5 gallon pails, and
> some boxes.

     DOE has done some of your work for you.  Your best starting place
     is "Test and Evaluation Document for DOT Specification 7A Type A
     Packaging" at http://www.hanford.gov/pss/t&p/dot7a/pdot7a.htm.
     (Note: This web address is case sensitive.)

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant
Federal Express Corporation
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269
-------------( Forwarded computer archived letter 3 follows )-------------
    05-Feb-97 19:40 CST
Sb: Containers for Type A
Fm: Eric Boeldt > INTERNET:ejb6@psu.edu

Radsafers,
        Does anyone know of a company that sells Industrial Packaging -3
containers?
        If nobody sells an IP-3.  What could I purchase that would come
close to the requirements that I could then test to get my required Type A
container.

        I need  to purchase some 55-gallon drums, 30 gallon drums, 5 gallon
pails, and some boxes.

Usual disclaminers apply.

Eric Boeldt     Health Physics Office                   (814)-865-3459
ejb6@psu.edu    228 Academic Projects Building          FAX     (814)-865-7225
                University Park, PA  16802