[Fwd: Re: Rad Waste]

Radsafers, My appologies if this was sent twice.  I had a brief internet
problem, and I do not even use AOL!
Wes

Jones, Pauline wrote:

> I need your help!!!
> I am the Radiation Safety Officer at Dalhousie University in Halifax,
> Canada. Currently the bulk of our rad waste is being incinerated at
> the biomedical incinerator at a local hospital. The facility
> consistently has failed general emission standards so could be shut
> down in the near future. We need to develop a contingency plan. Can
> you share with me waste disposal procedures at your institution (eg
> minimization etc.,)
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Pauline Jones
> Radiation Safety Office
> 1391 Seymour Street
> Halifax, Nova Scotia
> Canada
> B3H 3M6
>
> Fax 902-494-2055
> e-mail : pjones@kilcom1.ucis.dal.ca
------------------------
Fellow Radsafers,

This brings up a more general question. Does radioactive waste cross
national boundaries?  I am not aware of any normal practice where
radwaste moves, for example,  Canada to/from the US, or Mexico to/from
the US.

I am somewhat aware of the Basle Convention which essentially prohibits
the movement of waste materials to another country unless both
governments agree to the transfer and other conditions are met.
However, I believe the Basle Convention does not apply to radwaste
because other international treaties cover radwaste, i.e., those of the
IAEA.

Well, my bottom line question is whether anyone knows of radwaste
generated on one country moving to another country for treatment or
disposal.

Thanks, Wes

--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.