Re: [Fwd: Re: Rad Waste]

At 20:08 13.02.1997 -0600, you wrote:

...............................................................>
>Well, my bottom line question is whether anyone knows of radwaste
>generated on one country moving to another country for treatment or
>disposal.
>
>Thanks, Wes
>
>--
>Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
>President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.
>Consulting in radiological health and safety.
>mailto:VanPeltW@IDT.net
>http://shell.idt.net/~vanpeltw/index.html

Wes,

Yes. Nuclear reprocessing plants receive lots of used fuel from other
countries, they reprocess it and usually the high active waste is or should
be transported back (Sellafield, LaHague).

I know also another case, where low and intermediate waste was involved:
Used ion exchange resins from an Italian NPP was shipped to Austria, where
the Research Center Seibersdorf has a special incineration and compacting
plant for radioactive waste. The resins were burnt and the residual ash
compacted with concrete. The drums are sent back to Italy. This was a very
good business, but the greens had a big campaign and they argued that no
nuclear waste may enter our country. Now it seems that the government does
not dare to permit any further similar activities. In the background the
Research Center has tremendous financial problems and maybe quite a lot of
persons will have to quit working.
But this does not bother the greens....

Franz
Schoenhofer